Silver Social Grants Fund
As time passes and society ages older people are making up an ever growing proportion of our society. The old assumptions of age are no longer true, and many older people are making the most of their retirement – taking a far more active role in society than they ever did before, and spending more time on leisure activities than they ever have before.
But some older people remain isolated. Often when a working career ends the social connections that people had maintained start to disappear, and some people are at risk of isolation. This can have a negative effect on their health and well-being. What’s more, it can mean a loss of valuable skills to our wider society; skills that have been built up over years that could benefit our whole community.
The Silver Social grants fund is a new fund available to the whole of Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent that aims to tackle some of this isolation and disadvantage. It will run throughout 2017 and will award small grants of between £1000 and £3000 to organisations who are working to break the isolation often felt by older people.
Social clubs and luncheon clubs are the first activities that come to mind in cases like this, and they are a great way to create new friendships and support structures for older people, but there are other ways that older people are contributing to their wider community – by getting involved in volunteering, by taking a leading role in local community initiatives and by passing on often overlooked skills to a new generation. That’s why we’d like to encourage more people to do more – making use of all of their skills and experience.
How Funding Works
- Applications should be made using our online application form. If you cannot access this or you need support then please call us – we are here to help
- Applications will remain open year round and your application will always go to the next available panel meeting
- There will be 3 panel meetings in 2017 where applications will be assessed and decisions made, in April, August and December
- Funding will be awarded within 2 weeks of the decision being made
- You will have 12 months in which to spend any award
- Community or voluntary groups
- Registered charities
- Social Enterprises
- Parish councils
Organisations that we cannot fund
- Local Authorities
- Statutory Organisations, or those carrying out the responsibility of a statutory organisation
What We Can Fund
- Staff Costs
- Core Costs
- One off project or event costs
- Volunteer Expenses
What We Cannot Fund
- Promotion of religion, (although religious organisations may apply for non-religious projects)
- Party Political Activity
- Projects where the sole beneficiaries will be animals or the environment, (although projects using animals and the environment for engagement purposes will be eligible)
- Medical Research
What You Must Provide With Your Application
- A copy of your governing document
- A copy of your most recent accounts
- A bank statement (dated within the last 3 months)
- A copy of your Vulnerable Adults or Safeguarding policy
How To Apply
To apply please click the red apply button below and you will be taken to our online application.