Since 1997 Breath of Life have funded research and provided equipment and facilities to help in the treatment and rehabilitation of patients in hospital, in clinics and at home, where statutory funding was not available. North Staffordshire has amongst the highest rates of lung disease in the UK. Even though the area no longer relies on the traditional mining and manufacturing industries that may have contributed to lung disease in the past, the incidence of respiratory disease is still rising.
About grants for individuals from the Breath of Life Fund
We will help people with any lung disease: asthma, lung cancer, COPD (the umbrella term for conditions such as chronic bronchitis and emphysema), Cystic Fibrosis, TB, Sleep Apnoea and many other less common respiratory conditions.
Children and young adults
We help children with lung disease and have raised funds so that youngsters with Cystic Fibrosis can have a more comfortable and homely stay in hospital when they have to remain in isolation for some time. We have also provided funding so that babies and children can have the breathing monitors and equipment that they need to safeguard them at home.
Respiratory equipment does not always cost a huge amount of money and some of the equipment that makes a big difference can cost as little as £250.
What We Will Fund
Who We Will Support
We will support people who meet the following criteria;
- Be suffering from a lung condition
- Be able to demonstrate how an award could help your quality of life
- Resident in North Staffordshire (PLEASE NOTE: for the purposes of this fund North Staffordshire will include; Stoke on Trent, Newcastle under Lyme, the Staffordshire Moorlands, East Staffordshire, (as far east as Uttoxeter) and Stafford Borough, (Stone and north of Stone only))
What you can apply for
Small pieces of equipment that may make your life easier.
Costs associated with exercise or therapy that may improve your breathing.
PLEASE NOTE THAT NO FINANCIAL AWARD WILL BE MADE FROM THIS FUND. THE ITEM OF EQUIPMENT OR SERVICE WILL BE PURCHASED FOR YOU AND DELIVERED TO YOU.
Closing Dates & Submission Deadlines
The following dates are submission dates and panel dates for 2019.
- Applications submitted before 22nd January 2019 will go to the panel on 5th February 2019
- Applications submitted after 22nd January 2019, but before 16th September 2019 will go to the panel on 30th September 2019
- Applications submitted after 16th September 2019 will go to the panel in February 2020