Many companies now include a Corporate Social Responsibility, (CSR), policy in their aims as a way to give back to their local community. However, whilst you may want to fulfill these aims, it is often incredibly hard to do so. Corporate Social Responsibility used to be the domain of large multi national companies, as it can involve a significant amount of work, but now the Staffordshire Community Foundation offers a bespoke service to local businesses who want to put back into their community. There are many ways this can be achieved and it’s not all about giving financially. Sometimes local charities and community groups merely need help or volunteers, and both of these can be met through Corporate Social Responsibility. Our service allows even the smallest business to take advantage of a CSR service that was previously beyond their means. It’s all about minimum investment and maximum return. Community Foundations throughout the UK & Ireland have a long history of helping many well known companies meet their CSR needs.
For more information please download our CSR Booklet giving details of the ways we can help your company to meet its CSR aims here.
One of the aims of Corporate Social Responsibility is to ensure that the help you give stays in your local community. This can help to boost your local profile and boost the local economy.
The benefits of CSR are many, and numerous surveys have found that;
- Customers prefer to buy from businesses with an active involvement in their local community
- Other businesses and large corporations prefer to deal with socially responsible businesses
- Giving back through CSR can improve your local reputation and image
- CSR can increase brand identity through positive publicity, such as John Lewis and The Co-operative
By meeting your CSR aims through the Staffordshire Community Foundation you can ensure maximum impact for minimum investment. Some of the ways you can give back through CSR are;
- Giving financially to support local charities and community organisations, down to a district level, either through immediate grants or through sustainable giving, such as setting up your own permanent fund. More information about the benefits of giving in this way is available here if you are a company or here if you are a partnership or sole trader
By setting up a fund within the Foundation, the company maintains direct control of where their funds go and receives full recognition for all donations made. Such a relationship takes away the administrative burden of giving and leaves the company confident that donations are applied to best effect
All appeal letters are handled by the Foundation, so your company will never have to say no again; if the appeal does not meet our criteria, the Foundation can look for support from another fund under its management. All applications are assessed, many are visited and all projects put forward for funding have the full approval of the Foundation’s Trustees who are legally responsible for funds held within the Foundation.
- Volunteering by providing staff to work short term with charities or community groups in your area – it might be for a few hours, a few days or even longer term secondment - not only can it add variance to a staff role, it can assist with their personal development plans and increase your presence in your community. More information about the benefits of giving in this way is available here
- Donate unwanted goods to the local community, saving you time and money in disposal and benefitting those who really need them. More information about the benefits of giving in this way is available here
- Pro-Bono Help – By offering pro-bono services you can help meet the needs of small organisations, and often these needs are simple and not time consuming, but can greatly increase their sustainability. More information about the benefits of giving in this way is available here
- Offering to Sponsor a local charity, community group or event – This can immediately raise your public profile and successfully target potential customers by sponsoring events that are compatible with your business aims. More information on the benefits of giving in this way is available here
- You could set up Payroll Giving, offering your employees the chance to benefit from tax breaks when donating directly from their salary or pension. More information on the benefits of giving in this way is available here
With all of the methods mentioned above, the Staffordshire Community Foundation can provide a simple and cost effective way of meeting your broader CSR aims. We can help to arrange local and regional publicity for your giving, ensuring you receive maximum impact. What’s more, we handle all the hard work for you, so you get all of the benefit with none of the work.